The GRO Project is a brand new Perth City Farm initiative built from the ground up by volunteers with a passion for environmental sustainability, a love of their local community, and a belief that waste reduction can be achieved by thinking a little bit differently. Resource efficiency & a respect for nature are primary drivers behind the GRO ethos.
The GRO concept is simple: Take an everyday waste product and transform it into something that benefits the entire community. GRO turns waste coffee by-products into beautiful organic gourmet mushrooms, and premium organic compost, but the benefits reach far beyond sustainable food production.
GRO is working in cohesion with volunteers; universities; & local community support entities to provide education & activities in a positive social environment.
GRO aims to become a sustainable means of funding for Perth City Farm, allowing our not for profit organisation to develop and self-fund future community programs.
1. Local Perth businesses collect coffee by-products in 20L food quality GRO containers.
2. The GRO participants collect full GRO containers on a routine basis using our two GRO cargo bicycles and deliver them to PCF.
3. We start a unique GRO process whereby the coffee by-products are mixed and inoculated with our own mushroom spawn created in our lab. Climate controlled GRO rooms are where the colonization & fruiting of the delicious fungi occur.
4. Premium organic gourmet mushrooms are harvested and sold at our Perth City Farm Saturday market, and to restaurants & cafés.
5. Once fully fruited, the beneficial fungi & nutrient rich coffee by-products substrate is packaged and sold as premium compost at our Saturday market and to local businesses.
6. DIY GRO Mushrooms Kits will be available to buy online, onsite at Perth City Farm, and at participating outlets.
City Worms Project
We are currently expanding into organic waste management with the addition of worm farms, and black soldier fly composting systems. The nutrient rich worm castings, juice, and the worms themselves are superbly beneficial to our WA soils, flora, fauna, and fungi.
If you would like to be involved with these projects, just contact the friendly staff at Perth City Farm.